11 Best Burgers of 2011, NYC
In honor of National Hamburger Day (why so close to Christmas, meat-masters?), we here present the 11 burgers that stuck most in our minds. And we promise they taste as good as they look.
11. Dean Street (above) -- Love it when the hamburger with its accoutrements makes a still life on the plate, as fit to be painted as eaten. Fries and smothering cheese both excellent. 755 Dean Street, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, 718-783-3326
10. Petey's Burger -- Looking something like a disheveled bride, Petey's is about the closest you're going to come to In-N-Out Burger, and it will do just fine. 30-17 30th Avenue, Astoria, Queens, 718-267-6300
9. Coppelia -- Pulled pork and fried pork skins cover the luxuriant Frita Cubana Burger, like a barnyard brawl between a pig and a cow. 207 West 14th Streeet, 212-858-5001
8. Sparrow Tavern -- Lean, grass-fed beef topped with your choice of speck or bacon, and the rosemary fries are a thing of beauty. 24-01 29th Street, Astoria, Queens, 718-606-2260
7. Bayard's Ale House -- It was like a thousand other Irish bar burgers, but something snapped, and it tasted better than any burger that had recently gone before it. 533 Hudson Street, 212-989-0313