The Best of Showpaper "I Saw You," Edition One
Work by Kim Schifino of Matt & Kim, from issue 20
In case you are a suburban yokel who only sees live music in venues with hotdog vendors, there's this thing called Showpaper and it is awesome. A biweekly newsprint one-sheet that harkens back to the days of punk flyers and Xeroxed fanzines, Showpaper is a list of all-ages shows in the Tri-State area, events scheduled for smoky Williamsburg practice spaces, lofts with addresses sent via e-mailed requests, even the Yippie Museum Café on Bleecker. But the most unfailingly superb part of Showpaper is a regular sidebar called "I Saw You," a kind of Missed Connections for DIY kids. These blurbs are like short stories, often heartwarming, hilarious, and horn-doggy, full of shy-people longings and lost liquid courage. Five awesome blurbs from over Showpaper's lifespan of 44 issues are below.
- Saw U @ the Voxtrot show from the other night. U were wearing a Decemberists T from the 2003 tour, me the 1 from Colin's most recent trip. We are soulmates. Let's dbl up over yr iPod & cry about it.
--June 19 through July 3, 2007, 3-13.
- i saw u during circle takes the square. u were the tiny hardcore girl from upstate & i was the brooklyn boy w/ white the rock the 40 oz shirt. when u slammed me 2 the floor i knew it must be fate, i only have crusted over eyes 4 u.
--August 28 through September 11, 2007, 8.19.
- you were @ the deer tick show @ the silent barn. you looked like the small guy from the flight of the conchords. I told you this & you flipped me off. i fell in love. call me so i can get to know you. . . & your johnson.
-- February 12 through February 26, 20-01.
- Hey i saw you at a show once and wanted to have sex with you and maybe talk about music or other things afterwards or beforehand, but i couldn't say anything because of a deep seated fear that i could never love or be loved honestly so i wrote to showpaper instead
-- October 21 through November 4, 38-01.
- I saw U whizzing n that small dark room n the corner after the Death Set. Come over 2 my house & pee in a real toilet?
-- July 31 - August 14, 2007, 6-12.
Should you have been the "tiny hardcore girl from upstate" or the dude whizzing in the corner at the Death Set (jerk), e-mail email@example.com with the issue number and ID that appears after the date above; should you want to pursue that "brunette, about 10 feet from the stage, wearing jeans and a low-cut shirt" you spotted at the Todd Rundgren show, e-mail that same address, but make your blurb good because everybody reads these first.