The Top 10 Records Sold Last Week at Generation Records in the West Village
In 2009, the traditional practice of exchanging physical copies of records for money is a trade that might best be called quixotic. But New Yorkers are stubborn people, and the record store is not dead. Below, the top ten records that sold in the last week at a store near you.
Generation Records is tucked away on the West Village's Thompson Street, next to Washington Square Park, at an unlikely spot for the widest selection of hardcore punk and metal in the city. "We carry a lot of the aggressive stuff," says manager Matt Pullman. Generation sells new and used CDs and vinyl, as well as a healthy selection of hardcore t-shirts. The walls feature random decorations, including items representing employee's favorite sports teams. A hat hangs up on the fan upstairs, and there's a watergun in the used vinyl section. ("No one's sure how it got there," says Pullman.) Pullman, who also runs New York scene blog Late Night Wallflower, says the staff doesn't only listen to hardcore. "There's the metalhead guys and some guys like me," he says. "Right now, I'm listening to the new Grizzly Bear." Generation Records has been home to video shoots for everyone from H2O to Angels and Airwaves, and features in-store performances in the basement next to the t-shirt racks. In the past year, they've hosted the Gaslight Anthem, Fucked Up, and a Bouncing Souls acoustic set on Record Store Day. "Having bands of that magnitude play the store is awesome for me," Pullman says.
Photo of the Gaslight Anthem performing at Generation Records by Jason Bergman
The Top 10 Records Sold at Generation Records for the week ending Friday, August 14:
- 1. Sunn: Monolith and Dimension (Southern Lord)
2. Wilco: Wilco (The Album) (Nonesuch)
3. Wolves in the Throne Room: Black Cascade (Southern Lord)
4. Future of the Left: Travels with Myself and Another (4AD)
5. Kill the Client: Cleptocracy (Willowtip Records)
6. Cave In: Planets of Old '12
7. Pelican: Ephemeral '12 (Southern Lord)
8. 1349: Revelations of the Black Flame (Candlelight)
9. Bouncing Souls: 20th Anniversary Series Vol. 2 (Chunksaah)
10. Wellness: Wellness (Carrier Signal Records)
Generation Records is located at 210 Thompson Street between Bleecker and West 3rd. It's hours are Sunday-Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 11.p.m.