o you support Congressional Democrats using filibusters and other tactics to block the most extreme Republican legislation or the worst of President Bush's judicial nominees?" So asks the 2006 New Directions Survey sent by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee to targeted Democratic voters this week. The mailing comes with an envelope to return the survey and, if you're feeling generous, a donation of $15, $25, $35, $50, $100 or "Other." The schtick isn't new, but nothing entertains like pure partisanship masquerading as an opinion survey, so here are a few of the other questions the DCCC wants your take on (if you're a prime Democratic voter):
- Non-partisan observers of Congress are calling the Republican leadership of the 109th Congress the most arrogant, unethical and corrupt in modern history. Do you agree or disagree with this assessment? Agree, disagree, or not sure?
- What is the most important priority for Democrats in Congress right now? Terrorism, New Jobs, Affordable Health Care, or Better Schools. [How about new, affordable, and better terrorism?]
- Congressman Tom DeLay has been indicted for money laundering and forced to step down as Majority Leader of the U.S. House of Representatives. Do You think Tom DeLay is fit or unfit to retain his House seat? Fit, unfit or undecided?
- Do you support the Republican-led Congress giving President Bush the authorization to increase America's debt levels and run us further into the red? Yes, no or undecided?
- President Bush's privatization plan will cut benefits promised to seniors by as much as 46 percent. How worried are you about making ends meet in retirement if Social Security is privatized? Very worried, slightly worried, or not worried?
- "The future of our nation depends on all children having the opportunity to learn in safe, well-equipped public schools." Do you agree or disagree, or are you not sure?
Can you imagine what would happen if Republican operatives got hold of these blank surveys and submitted them for tabulation?! We'd have a Democratic party fighting for old jobs, worse schools, unaffordable health care, arrogance, the worst judges, and red ink. Yikes.