The New Female Condom Takes Over DC: New York Next?
Salon calls the FC2 a "tough sell" even though the new design is supposedly better. The breakdown?
- Offers wider external coverage against STIs.
- New version eliminates "rustling plastic bag" sound.
- Can be inserted up to eight hours before intercourse for what they call "spontaneous sex!"
- You don't have to wait until your partner is "erect" to use.
- Does "uphill battle" sound good to you?
- Site suggests you attempt insertion at least 3 times before actual use to avoid fucking it up.
- There's a lot of potential for fucking it up (Make sure he doesn't enter between the condom and the vaginal wall), just as there is with a male condom that is easier to manage.
- 75-82% effective -- as opposed to a wopping Trojan 97% -- but if used correctly they "can" be just as effective as male condom.
- It "empowers" women -- a woman providing her own male condoms (and even putting it on the guy herself) could be equally as assertive.
- Do you really want a to be contraceptively vajazzled for up to eight hours before intercourse? Removing it after a night of not having expected-yet-spontaneous sex will inevitably be, at best, disappointing, and at worst, humiliating.
- Dear god, women already have the option to pay for oral contraceptives and persevere the menstrual cycle, can't the dude take care of just this one thing?
|Ad says to, "Get Turned On To It" -- vroom vroom?|
According to Dr. Monica Sweeney, the Assistant Commissioner for the Bureau of HIV Prevention and Control for New York City, they have more of a grassroots approach to female condoms. Last year, they distributed almost a million female condoms to groups all over the city complete with demonstrated instructions. Sweeney also noted that their distribution increased 13% last year, and that they plan to continue expansion. So, yes, New Yorkers, the female condom is coming. Not like that. But yes, it's on its way.