The Obamas Gave the Cameron Kids Scooters and a Bo Stuffed Animal
Despite the media focusing on any number of alleged "gaffes" on the part of President Obama (awkward toast, a car getting stuck, etc.), the Obamas have been quite etiquette-appropriate in terms of giving presents to their hosts. The following items have been given, according to the White House:
Double the Bo.
To David Cameron:
- A custom-made pair of White House Magnolia wood and sterling-silver cufflinks engraved on the reverse with the President's signature
- A first edition of President John F. Kennedy's book, Profiles in Courage
To Samantha Cameron:
- A custom-designed sterling-silver cuff bracelet adorned with a White House Magnolia wood cabochon center, which was presented together with the cufflinks in a hand-carved Magnolia wood valet tray crafted specially for this occasion (the magnolia wood is from fallen White House trees).
To the Cameron kids:
- Each got a signed, personalized copy of President Obama's book Of Thee I Sing. Nancy and Elwen also received classic American kid toy scooters, and Florence received a handcrafted wooden jigsaw puzzle of Bo Obama, the First Family's dog, and a stuffed animal of Bo.
To the Royal Family:
- A collection of rare memorabilia and photos from King George VI and Queen Elizabeth's 1939 U.S. visit in a handmade leather bound album; a custom set of Fell Pony bits and shanks and the original horseshoes worn by recently retired champion carriage horse Jamaica; and plants and seedlings as well as White House honey. (In 2009 Obama gave the Queen an iPod.)
The Obamas did not go empty-handed, receiving facsimiles of letters from the royal Archives "to and from a number of presidents to Queen Victoria commencing with a letter from John Quincy Adams writing to Princess Victoria in 1834, a final letter by William McKinley in 1897 to Queen Victoria marking her diamond Jubilee year...bound in book form, red leather with gold lettering and presented in a presentation box." Michelle also got an antique broach.
Cheers, all very classy, minus, perhaps, the scooters.
Obama, Cameron exchange gifts: A stuffed Bo for British PM kids [Chicago Sun-Times]