Suspect in Mosque Stabbing Arrested Again for Emails Threatening to Kill and Castrate Director of Muslim Group

Image via.
Nihad Awad, CAIR's national executive director, was sent threatening emails. The FBI says Bernhard Laufer is responsible.
A Queens man awaiting trial for allegedly stabbing a Muslim man in 2012 has been arrested again. Bernhard Laufer, 56, was arrested on Saturday after an investigation by the FBI's Civil Rights Squad revealed that he sent a series of emails threatening the director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a Muslim civil liberties organization based in Washington D.C.

Laufer is awaiting trial for allegedly lying in wait outside a Flushing mosque at 5 a.m. on November 18, 2012, then stabbing 57-year-old Bashir Ahmad six times when Ahmad arrived to unlock the mosque for morning prayers. Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a press release at the time that Laufer had yelled "I'll kill you Muslim [expletive redacted]" at Ahmad as the attack continued. Ahmad told the Daily News that Laufer stabbed him six times in the back, cut his head and thumb, and bit the tip of his nose.

Laufer wasn't identified in the attack until June of 2013. In the meantime, he appears to have been busy: in a federal complaint, the FBI says that Laufer began sending threats to CAIR about ten months after the attack, in October of 2013.

More »

Watch Out at the Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer Subway Station

This story is much more frightening due to the fact that it happened in the middle of the afternoon.

Yesterday, around 3:30pm, NYPD authorities believe two Hispanic men stabbed three African-American men at the Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer subway station in Queens. The bloody encounter was a result of an argument between the two parties; two of the African-American males were stabbed in the stomach and another was stabbed in the leg. The suspected perpetrators escaped the station while the three males were rushed to the nearby Jamaica hospital. They are currently in critical but stable condition.

Soon after the attack, trains headed to the J and E line hub were shut down due to the investigation. According to Gothamist, the MTA shut down service to the station around 4:50 p.m. but it looks like it's up and running now. However, no word on the whereabouts of the stabbers at the station.

So, yeah, watch your back.


Fight Turns Bloody at Bronx Playground

On July 22nd, paramedics arrived at the Half-Nelson Playground in the Morris Heights neighborhood of the Bronx at around 9pm, only to find a young 22-year-old man named Tashawn Murray covered in blood and sprawled out across the basketball court. Murray was rushed to a nearby hospital and declared dead soon after. 

The death was the result of a simple argument over a game of basketball gone terribly wrong and Murray had to pay the price, police told reporters that night. His assailants came back after harsh words were exchanged but, this time, they brought back packed guns and a vengeance to kill. The shooters of Murray have yet to be found.

The violence at Half-Nelson Playground unfortunately continued yesterday night. The scenario was eerily similar to that of a month ago: a basketball tournament and barbeque was being held at the outside community hub. But, at around 10pm, a fight broke out that led to the stabbing of four separate people, three of which were women. 

Once again, the Bronx playground turned bloody.

More »

Two Separate Stabbings Deep in the East Village Last Night

We were wondering what all those helicopters, fire trucks and police cars near Avenue D were about last night. Looks like we may have our answer and it doesn't look pretty.

Early yesterday evening, two different persons were stabbed deep in Alphabet City. Luckily, both encounters were non-fatal.

At 8:30pm, a 50-year-old suspect Cornado Speck was arrested and is being accused of assaulting a man in the East River Park on East 8th Street and the FDR Drive. According to the Times' Local East Village blog, Speck and the victim got into a heated argument that unfortunately ended in bloodshed.

The second attack came 45 minutes later (9:15pm or so) near the Fine Fare supermarket on East 4th Street and Avenuce C - just a few blocks down from the first stabbing. According to a reader on EV Grieve, seven undercover cops pursued and caught a man in a baseball cap while the victim was taken to Bellevue to be treated for his wounds. 

More »

A Youth Stabbing and Deadly Fire Last Night in Bushwick

The past few weekends have been a little rough for Brooklyn residents. Last Saturday, we reported on a deadly accident that happened in Sheepshead Bay and a police officer who might have been over the legal limit to drive in Brooklyn Heights. 

This week, our attention shifts to the the neighborhood east of Williamsburg; the locale of interest for a stabbing and a fire that took the life of a young woman happened last night.

Earlier on, at around 6:30pm yesterday evening, a 15-year-old boy was chased down and stabbed in the chest by a group of teenagers that numbered 10 or more. After hopping over fences and being pummeled with glass bottles, the kid was subdued by the group at a playground. Cops found the bloody weapon soon after at the scene. 

The attack happened around Madison Street, near the border of Bushwick and Bed-Stuy, and the intent is still unclear. But the boy was immediately taken to Kings County Hospital and remains in stable condition.

More »

More iPhone-Related Crime: Arrests Tied to Chef's Murder and Early Morning Subway Stabbing

via Apple.
Two news stories are developing this weekend that involve iPhone-related violence.

The New York Post is reporting that a teen is now fighting for his life after he was stabbed early this morning during a fight over an iPhone at a Fordham Heights subway station.

Apparently, the 19-year-old saw that a friend's phone had been snatched after the two fell asleep on a downtown 4 train. When he realized the phone had been grabbed, he spotted someone who he thought looked suspicious and began fighting with him over the missing iPhone. The fight made its way to the Fordham Road station platform, and the man repeatedly stabbed the 19-year-old in the face and chest. The suspect fled the scene around 4 a.m. The teen is in critical condition at St. Barnabas Hospital.

More »

Three Men Wanted in Shooting Near Fordham University

Three lowlifes turned a verbal altercation into a shootout in the Bronx this weekend, and cops want your help getting them off the street.

Around 1:50 p.m. on Sunday, the suspected perps got into an argument with the 28-year-old victim, police say. One of the accused crims took out a gun and fired, hitting the man and two bystanders. The three thugs then fled south in Fordham Manor, into 2570 Briggs Avenue.

More »

Cops Seek Manuel Pinero in Stabbing Outside Chelsea Nightclub

manuel pinero.jpg
On Monday shortly after 5 a.m., 23-year-old Christopher Adames was stabbed to death on West 21st Street between 11th and 12th Avenues outside the Juliet Supperclub (which you would recognize if you watch Mob Wives). Adames was rushed to Bellevue and pronounced dead on arrival. Police have identified the suspect, 41-year-old Manuel Pinero. He's described as 6'2", 260 pounds, and he drives a black 2010 Audi SUV, plate number ETU5963.

More »

Brooklyn Girl Killed by Car Driven by Stabbed Man, Who Then Died

brooklyn car crash .jpg
The SUV that caused the accident.
A 13-year-old girl was killed in Brooklyn last night when a stabbed man ran her over on the street. Kirra Goddard was struck by 44-year-old Sean Lewis' SUV when it overturned on Pacific Street in Ocean Hill; she was pronounced dead on the scene. Lewis crashed into several parked cars before his SUV flipped; he was taken to the hospital, where doctors discovered that he had been stabbed in the torso. He died soon after that. CBS reports that Kirra warned her sister and friends to get out of the way as the car careened down the street, effectively saving their lives.

[NY1, CBS 2]

Darell Smith, 17, Stabbed to Death in Crown Heights; Teen Suspect ID'ed

Orpheus Nelson, wanted in connection with death
​Cops are looking for Crown Heights teen Orpheus Nelson in connection with the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Darell Smith in Crown Heights late Tuesday night. Smith, who lived in Bed-Stuy, was found shortly before 11 p.m. at 1785 Pacific Avenue, with multiple stab wounds; he was DOA at Kings County Hospital. Nelson, 18, lives on the second floor at 1783 Pacific Avenue. Anybody with info on this senseless homicide can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or submit tips at or text info to 274637 (CRIMES), entering TIP577.