There was another apartment fire in the Bronx early Monday morning. And for the second time in four days, candles sparked it.
FDNY Engine Company 96 Facebook page
The tragic details of the first fire, the one in Highbridge on Friday night, were still fresh in the public's mind: Family couldn't pay the electric bill. Used candles for light. Three children died.
In Monday's Soundview blaze, the candles were in the basement and 12 people were injured, two of them critically. Con Ed told the Associated Press that the company had not shut off any power in that building.
But, as with Friday's fire, FDNY officials noted that there was no working smoke detector in the room where this one ignited.More »